The Rev. Henry Adams Sergison ATWOOD 1800 - 1877
Henry was son of The Reverend Thomas Alexanda Atwood 1764 - 1805 and Grace BURTENSHAW 1767 - 1831.
He was grandson of The Reverend Thomas Atwood 1721 - 1770 and Isabella Sells 1721 - 1793.
Born 13th January 1800
Died 22nd June 1877
Married Cunitia EVANS 1794 - 1855, daughter of Lewis Evans 1755 - 1827 by his second wife Elizabeth HALLIDAY d. 1840
Henry and Cunitia had eight children as follows:
1. Lewis Henry ATWOOD, 4 June 1825 - 17 Nov. 1833
2. Mary Jane Elizabeth ATWOOD, 27 Feb. 1827 - 10 March 1831
3. George Dewhurst ATWOOD, 8 March 1829 - m. Sept. 1854 Catherine SANDERS dau. of Charles Sanders of Thirsk, Yorkshire. They had six children.
4. Henry Easton Butler ATWOOD, b. 23 Sept. 1830.
5. Arthur Thomas ATWOOD, b. 24 April 1832 -; Rector of Bromeswell, near Woodbridge, Suffolk.
6. Emily Grace ATWOOD, 30 April 1834 - 20 Aug. 1859.
7. James Parr Clinton ATWOOD, 9 Nov. 1836 - 28 May 1912; m. Jan 1858, Anne dau. of Capt. & Catherine Parr TRIALL (née Strickland) and had seven children.
8. John ATWOOD, 1 June 1839 d. an infant.
This family was known as the "Ashleworth cousins" by the Hubbards and Evans families of the time.
The adult children on their lawn at Ashleworth.
Henry was Rector of Ashleworth, Gloucestershire, for 37 years.
Members of the Atwood family were associated with St Margaret's church, Westminster where there are memorials to Henry’s grandparents, two children who died in infancy and their other sons who went on to achieve much in their careers.
From the Westminster Abbey Website
In St Margaret's church, Westminster are two memorials to the Atwood family. The Reverend Thomas Atwood and his wife have a marble tablet high on the south wall.
This inscription reads:
In the vault under this church are deposited the remains of the Revd. Thomas Atwood many years Curate of this parish who died on the 4th day of December 1770 aged 49 years. Also the remains of Isabella Atwood his widow who died on the 27th day of June 1793 aged 72 years. And of two of their children who died in their infancy.
He was also a curate at St Clement Danes church in London and married Isabella Sells.
On the north wall is a brass to two sons of Thomas and Isabella. This was made by Coleman & Co of Norwich and shows the coat of arms "gules a lion rampant argent within an orle of eight acorns, slipped or" with a crest and motto.
The inscription reads:
Sacred to the memory of the Revd. Thomas Alexander Atwood. Educated at Westminster School and Curate of this church from 1790 until his death in A.D. 1805. Also of George Atwood M.A. F.R.S. who died A.D. 1807 scholar of Westminster School and fellow of Trinity Coll. Cambridge private secretary to William Pitt the Prime Minister. They were the sons of the Rev. Thomas Atwood M.A. Curate of this church from 1749 to 1770 and grandsons of the Rev. George Atwood B.D. Archdeacon of Taunton, Canon of Wells and Vicar of St James' s church Taunton.
George was the eldest son and was baptised on 15th October 1745 and was a King's Scholar at Westminster and Captain of the School. He went onto be a distinguished mathematician, author and teacher of astronomy and was elected Fellow of the Royal Society in 1776. His scientific reputation was based on a design for a type of pulley machine. He died unmarried in July 1807 and was buried in the church. (His first cousin George, son of the Reverend George Atwood, vicar of Milverton, Somerset was also at the School).
Thomas Alexander was born on 29th March 1764 and was curate at Mickleham in Surrey before becoming Curate and Lecturer at St Margaret's. His wife was Grace Burtenshaw and he died on 19th July 1805.
(Their brother James Estcourt Atwood, born 1758, was also at Westminster School and was ordained and served in India. He died unmarried)
The blend of Scientist, Mathematician and Priest was as strong in the Atwood family as it was in the Evans family. JFH
From the Ashleworth Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876:-
Ashleworth (formerly Escelenorde), is a parish and village in Gloucester union, containing, by the census of 1861, 547, and in 1871, 564 inhabitants, and 1650 acres; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Berkeley, East Gloucestershire; 7 miles east from Newent, 8 south-west from Tewkesbury, 5 north-west from Gloucester, 14 from Malvern, and 10 north-west from Cheltenham.
The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, consists of nave, north transept, south aisle, and two chancels, with a tower and spire, chiefly in the later English style. The north, or vicar’s chancel, contains a beautiful stained glass window at the east end, by Gibbs, of London, in memory of the parents of Mr. and Miss Colchester, the representatives of a family of considerable antiquity in the place. On the north side of the same chancel there are two other stained glass windows by the same artist, in memory of the wife and daughter of the present incumbent.
The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Adams Sergison Attwood, M.A., F.R.A.S., is valued at £280 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The rectory house, pleasantly situated on a rising ground about half-a-mile from the parish church, has a fine view of the surrounding country.
There is a National School for children of both sexes. The old manor house, or court, is now used as a farmhouse, in the occupation of Mr. William Henry Clarke, and was formerly a cell of the Augustine Priory at Bristol, and here several of the brethren lived; many portions show considerable antiquity. The old vicarage affords a peculiarly fine specimen of woodwork.
An eminence on the north-eastern extremity of the parish, called Barrow Hill, is remarkable for its extensive and panoramic view; it is the freehold property of the Rev. R. B. Baker, of Hasfield Court. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who possess the fee simple of nearly the whole of the parish, are the owners of the manorial rights, which were leased to the late Thomas Fulljames, Esq., whose widow is lady of the manor.
There are some small charities for the benefit of the poor. The rateable value of the parish is £3556.
Ashleworth (sometimes formerly spelled ‘Ashelworth’) is a village about six miles north of Gloucester.
When I lived in Gloucester (1997-2002) it was a favourite haunt of mine. In those days I hadn’t fully made the family connection with the place. It had a riverside pub, the Boat Inn, by the bank and ancient ferry crossing of the River Severn. Sadly, the Boat Inn is now closed due to frequent flooding of recent years. The ferry ceased back in the 1950’s.
Ashleworth has a magnificent medieval tithe barn, now in the care of the National Trust. The barn was built in the period 1481 – 1515.