The Rev. John FOLEY MA 1775 - 1847
Fifth child and son of Robert FOLEY 1736 – 1797 and Ann WALWYN b.1749 390
Born 15th January 1775, MORDIFORD, Herefordshire
Died 11th July 1847, HOLT, Worcestershire
Married 24 September 1804, Martha HICKMAN 1772 – 1836
Four children born to John FOLEY and Martha HICKMAN
1) John FOLEY (Rev.) 1805 - 1886
Caroline Elizabeth WINDHAM 1815 - 1898
2) Martha FOLEY 1807 - 1897
3) Edward Walwyn FOLEY 1809 - 1900
Charlotte Polson LAING 1812 - 1904
4) Ann FOLEY 1815 - 1902
Edward VIZARD 1810 - 1888
John was a Fellow of Wadham College, Oxford. He was rector of Holt, Worcestershire, 1812-47. He followed a cousin, Henry Thomas FOLEY MA, rector from 1764. Holt was obviously under the patronage of the Foleys of Great Witley.
From the listed collection of Rhys Davids family, Pali scholars
John FOLEY was born in Mordiford, Herefordshire, 15 January 1775. He was educated at Stourbridge Free Grammar School, 1783-6; Kingswinford School, Staffordshire, 1786-90; the College School, Hereford, 1790-2; and Wadham College, Oxford, BA, 1795, MA, 1801. He was a fellow of Wadham College, 1796-1805, and was ordained deacon, 1797, and priest, 1799. He was curate of Wibbenhall, Worcestershire, 1803-12, and Astley, Worcestershire, 1809-12. He married Martha Hickman HAYLEY, 1806. He was rector of Holt, Worcestershire, 1812-47. He died, 11 August 1847.
Source – RD H/1 Account book
1797-1847 1 vol
With autobiographical notes, 1775-1823, and a probate account, 1849
Holt With Little Witley Littlebury’s Directory 1879
Holt is a very picturesque parish and village, standing on high ground, overlooking the Severn valley, 6½ miles N. of Worcester, 2 S.W. of Ombersley, 6 W. of Droitwich, and 6½ S. of Stourport; is in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Oswaldslow; in the union and highway district of Martley; petty sessional division and county court district of Worcester; polling district of St. John’s; annual rateable value, £3,321; area of civil parish, 1,951 acres; population in 1861, 295; in 1871, 284, with 59 inhabited houses and 63 families or separate occupiers.
The Earl of Dudley (Great Witley) is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is loamy and gravely, producing wheat, barley, roots, &c. The Worcester and Tenbury road passes through the parish. Holt is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Worcester West; living, a rectory, with the chapelry of Little Witley annexed; value £584, with residence and 47 acres of glebe; patron, the Earl of Dudley; rector, Rev. Charles John Sale, M.A., Lincoln College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1847. The church is dedicated to St. Martin, and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, and tower containing four bells; is principally of Norman work, except the south aisle and east wall. It was restored in 1858 at a cost of £800. There is much here to interest the visitor - rich Norman arches and doorways, curiously carved capital, a hagioscope, the finest Norman font in the county, monumental remains, old stained-glass, &c. The earliest register is dated 1538. There is a national school in the village of Holt. The charities belonging to the parish amount to about £16 yearly. Holt Castle is situate high on the west bank of the Severn, near the church. It is supposed to have been built in Norman times by one of the D’Abitots, but nothing now remains of it except the tower and portions of the embattled walls, which are of much later date. It was in succession a seat of the Warwick, Beauchamp, Wysham, Bromley, and Foley families, but is now the property of the Earl of Dudley, and his lordship’s agent James Best, Esq., resides there. There is a handsome iron bridge over the Severn at Holt fleet, where is also a comfortable inn with tea gardens, much frequented during the summer months by river parties. The pleasant heights adjoining afford some of the best views of the Severn. Little Witley, a chapelry, 2 miles W., contained in 1861 a population of 208; in 1871, 202, with 42 inhabited houses and 57 families or separate occupiers. It comprises an area of 960 acres; annual rateable value, £1,795. The chapel-of-ease is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and contains about 90 sittings. It is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, and south porch, with an open bell-turret. It was restored in 1867. A new school has been recently erected here.
Caroline Augusta Foley was born on 27 September 1857 in Wadhurst, East Sussex, England to John Foley and Caroline Elizabeth Foley (née Windham). She was born into a family with a long ecclesiastic history: her father, John Foley, served as the vicar of Wadhurst from 1847–88; her grandfather and great grandfather had served as rector of Holt, Worcestershire and vicar of Mordiford, Herefordshire, respectively.
British writer and translator. She made a contribution to economics before becoming widely known as an editor, translator, and interpreter of Buddhist texts in the Pāli language. She was honorary secretary of the Pāli Text Society from 1907, and its president from 1923 to 1942.