William PHELPS 1787 - 1876
Fourth child, eldest son of William PHELPS (1749–1831) and Elizabeth PEYTON (1757–1829)
Born 6th November 1787, Funchal, Madeira.
Died 19th September 1876
William's birth, along with those of five siblings, was registered in the Protestant Dissenters' Registry when his mother visited England in 1793. In 1796 he and his brother Abel began school with the Rev Peter Burford in Chingford, Essex, though they would both have been taught the three Rs by their mother and older sisters before then.
After a few years at school, he returned to Madeira to join his brother-in-law Robert Page in the offices of Phelps, Page & Co, where he would remain until 1814, when the next brother Joseph joined the partnership. William then moved to the London office, taking over from his father.
William paid a visit to Madeira in 1839, but otherwise continued to run the Rood Lane office in London, later joined by his younger brother Charles. He retired from the partnership about 1846 and received the Quinta do Prazer and other property in payment of his share.
William and Charles, with their unmarried sisters Mary and Ann, and their widowed sister Elizabeth Page all lived at 18 Montague Place until their deaths.
When William realised that Mary was nearing the end of her life, he bought a plot in Kensal Green Cemetery and built a vault large enough to receive her coffin, and those of all the siblings in due course.
He died aged 88 and was also interred there.