A clergyman who spent his boyhood days in Littledean is coming back...
Affairs in the Forest of Dean
Gloucester Journal 20th January 1945
A clergyman who spent his boyhood days in Littledean is coming back to become rector in succession to the late Rev. W. Stanley, whose death occurred suddenly in the Autumn.
The new rector is the Rev. G. E. Hubbard, whose father, the late Dr. Hubbard, of Hill House, Littledean, was churchwarden for many years. His induction and institution to the living is expected to take place shortly.
During the last war Mr. Hubbard served with the R.G.A. in France, and after demobilisation in 1919 he studied architecture in London and America. He returned to England and joined the staff of the Gloucestershire County Council at the Shire Hall. Afterwards he was for five years chief assistant to a firm of architects in Trowbridge, Wiltshire. Then he went into business on his own account in Lahore, North India. After a tour of missionary services as a layman in West Africa, Hubbard read for Holy Orders, and for two years was lay reader at St. Stephen's Church Cinderford.
Early in 1936, after completing his studies at King's College, London, he was ordained deacon in March and priest in December by the Bishop of Gloucester, and was licensed to the assistant curacy of St. James' Church, Gloucester.
From 1938 to 1941, Mr. Hubbard. was Principal of the Art Industrial School, Nazareth, Tinnevelly, South India, under the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. He was also Tinnevelley Diocesan Architect.
When he returned from India last March, Mr. Hubbard was appointed to the S.P.G. deputation staff in which post he remained until last September, when he became priest-in-charge of the parish of Barton-upon-Humber, Lincolnshire.